Sunday, August 4, 2013

More than Inclusivity

The new convener of the Beach Progressives, Sean Lanigan, talked about being a community that is more than inclusivity. That young adults obviously want more than to be an inclusive community.  That is so true. Yet here in Churches that are inter-generational, that isn't often the case. We strive to inclusive because that isn't a part of the reality, and yet it is stunning for Millenials, how many of them are irreligious and also Progressive, and that is heartening. It's definitely going in that direction and it's only a matter of time.

In any case, inclusivity. Churches as Sean said, should be more than places of inclusivity. That's just so obvious and a given for Millenials. What else can a Church be? They should be incubators or love, driven to sustain spiritual growth in our parishioners, and I wonder if we are doing that as a Church. Are we encouraging their spiritual growth? I think that is an important question.

But moreso the fact, that our goal should not be inclusivity. It's such a tepid goal, or maybe it wasn't so far along ago, but now for Millenials it is. That's pretty remarkable. I love that; but it just makes demands on us as leaders of Christian community. What are we really giving to people, other than a worship experience that is hopefully nourishing spiritual growth.

Indeed, I feel like I have gone through spiritual growth being here at St. Luke's but also certainly because of Gary's mentorship. Thank God for his leadership and guidance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment