I have been thinking about a post that 1. Dr. Serene Jones, of Union Theological Seminary, wrote about in the latest Union Now magazine, where she speaks about "vulnerability" being incredibly important for the theological experiment. It was brought up again by a friend of mine, and parishioner at the Church where I currently serve, 2. Benjamin Galan, where he shared that "vulnerability" is so incredibly important to the experiment of community.
3. And therein lies the third bit about vulnerability that I have found out. It is as Greg said today, "the most unhappiest people are those that live lives of protection" or those that are protected.
As I leave St. Luke's Episcopal Church, here in Long Beach, CA, I recognize that I have found my voice here, and also my sense of the Priesthood mainly because of Gary Commins, the Rector. He called me to be his associate and it was powerful for my priesthood, which I think was dying. Here was a place that I was fully myself and preaching the way I have always wanted to preach, uninhibited and let loose with the Spirit leading the way. I was myself, and I also found my prophetic voice which was always there. I have been taught I think culturally, Indian culture, to shy away and be a reticent. It's a sense of shyness, to pull away from and not demand what I need. Nobody deserves anything, as I think God would say. But here in the Church, I found my voice which speaks by itself. It is certainly cognizant of what's happening all around it; but will not shy away from conflict; but actually relishes in it. I mention this also as I think about leaving for another position within The Episcopal Church. To the extent that I have been successful here at St. Luke's, it is because of my vulnerability. I have shared from my own experience touches on God, and how theology speaks from that encounter. Too often I find people so buttoned up." I think that was profoundly deep. Folks in Churches I think are buttoned up and they are looking to given the permission to release and be who they are called to be, not to be someone else. When they hear vulnerability, they are immediately set free, it's like people are saying," be who you are," it's ok if people see you struggling and going through very difficult times.
It is the sharing that enables another to share their story. We all give permission to do be vulnerable and share who you are as a community.
And then yesterday's conversation with Randy, who just sounds so incredibly connected to God because of how he talks and how animated he is. He's so full of energy whenever I meet him, and not an over abundance of it which becomes annoying; but of energy that comes from a wellspring within. That is so clear.
3. And therein lies the third bit about vulnerability that I have found out. It is as Greg said today, "the most unhappiest people are those that live lives of protection" or those that are protected.
As I leave St. Luke's Episcopal Church, here in Long Beach, CA, I recognize that I have found my voice here, and also my sense of the Priesthood mainly because of Gary Commins, the Rector. He called me to be his associate and it was powerful for my priesthood, which I think was dying. Here was a place that I was fully myself and preaching the way I have always wanted to preach, uninhibited and let loose with the Spirit leading the way. I was myself, and I also found my prophetic voice which was always there. I have been taught I think culturally, Indian culture, to shy away and be a reticent. It's a sense of shyness, to pull away from and not demand what I need. Nobody deserves anything, as I think God would say. But here in the Church, I found my voice which speaks by itself. It is certainly cognizant of what's happening all around it; but will not shy away from conflict; but actually relishes in it. I mention this also as I think about leaving for another position within The Episcopal Church. To the extent that I have been successful here at St. Luke's, it is because of my vulnerability. I have shared from my own experience touches on God, and how theology speaks from that encounter. Too often I find people so buttoned up." I think that was profoundly deep. Folks in Churches I think are buttoned up and they are looking to given the permission to release and be who they are called to be, not to be someone else. When they hear vulnerability, they are immediately set free, it's like people are saying," be who you are," it's ok if people see you struggling and going through very difficult times.
It is the sharing that enables another to share their story. We all give permission to do be vulnerable and share who you are as a community.
And then yesterday's conversation with Randy, who just sounds so incredibly connected to God because of how he talks and how animated he is. He's so full of energy whenever I meet him, and not an over abundance of it which becomes annoying; but of energy that comes from a wellspring within. That is so clear.
No comments:
Post a Comment